1. Recycling is mandated by the 1987 New Jersey Statewide Mandatory Source Separation and Recycling Act.
- The 1987 New Jersey Statewide Mandatory Source Separation
and Recycling Act mandated the recycling of basic materials (paper and bottles and cans) throughout New Jersey.
- At the County level for TCNJ, it is the Mercer County Improvement Authority, who oversees the Recycling Act.
- At the Township level, Ewing Township works with the Mercer County Improvement Authority for recycling collection from surrounding homes and apartments. Mercer County Improvement Authority
- On campus, TCNJ has agreed to take care of its recycling through a private contractor.
2. The cost to recycle is less than bulk trash.
- Disposal costs associated with recyclable materials is less than the cost associated with the removal bulk trash and in some cases has no cost.